World Water Day: 22nd March 2024

 

World Water Day

(22nd March 2024)

My Story…..

Today the world is celebrating 32nd World Water Day. On this occasion I want to tell you, my story. The story of my association with human and his development. 

I am flowing and flowing… since ages. My journey from mountain to the sea is pretty long and I enjoy this from start to end. I flow through the mountains, on plain lands, I take the turns and sometimes I fall. Somewhere I run fast, somewhere I jump, somewhere I flow quietly and ultimately I get merged into the sea. Along this journey I meet my   tributaries; we merge into each other and go vital. I see many things along my way; I see forests, farms, open lands, villages, cities and many more. Trees and shrubs along my bank whisper with me. Birds and animals come to quench their thirst and chat with me. People celebrate their joyous moments with me.  I have a strong connection with all of them and they have intense affection to me.

This made the mutual bond stronger and eternal.

 

Earlier human life was peaceful and so was mine….

   In ancient times people started settling along my bank and lived their lives. Many kingdoms many cities, towns, villages established and flourished along my banks. I have witnessed many wars and battles too. Many temples, houses, palaces, ghats are constructed along my banks. They added beauty to my surrounding. I too take motherly care of their needs; drinking, farming, cultural, recreational and what not.

I was being respected and worshiped.

 
 I was living a fulfilling life.

But somewhere something is going wrong. I am being neglected. I am getting threatened. Many human activities are impacting my natural qualities adversely; my water quality, my vitality, my flow patterns, ecosystem within me and my surrounding. The developments along my way are endangering my existence. This is acutely painful for me. My originality is getting affected. Many reasons can be listed for these wallops.

The basic reason is Human behavior with least sensitivity and lack of sensibility.

 

I am under serious threat.

    The unplanned developments along my way and my catchment area, discharge of untreated waste water, solid waste dumping, over extraction of water are worsening the situation. My water quality and vitality both are getting affected. My role in hydro-logical systems, ecological settings, geological structures is vital on local, regional and global level. If these systems are disturbed it will intensely impact on human life and its survival.

Today I am polluted and hence my ecosystems are disturbed; human health is affected; groundwater is contaminated.

Today I am shrunk, that resulted in water scarcity, food shortage, ground water depletion, sea water intrusion, ecological loss.

Today my flow patterns is changed, which causes siltation and flooding. In heavy rains I spill out of my channel robustly that results in flood occurrence. This leads to human loss, economic loss and most prominently ecological loss.

These adversities are hampering human's social safety and security, environmental quality, economic growth and ultimately questioning the sustainability.

 

I need utmost care and urgent attention.

I need revival majors and that too urgently. Take the steps to conserve all the water resources. It is a responsibility of every individual, community, societal and institutional. Take active, effective and efficient measures urgently to save me.

Control the development along the bank and my catchment area. Rethink the built environment, recreate the natural environment by restoring the human values.

Treat the waste water and recycle it with appropriate scientific solutions and reuse or dispose it safely in the environment

Make the environment clean and green through good practices. Create green spaces, Manage solid waste at all levels and stop littering in public places. Take appropriate actions for cleaner and greener environment. 

Take care of all the natural systems by preserving their natural forms and processes. Be wise while intervening in these systems. Be sensitive while making any alterations in these systems. Because these systems are directly and indirectly associated to your wellbeing.    

If these measures are not been taken, I will be perished in the near future. At that time your survival will be uncertain.

Conserve me for the sustainability…. Conserve me for the Humanity

 
So, Dear Human


 …My revival will lead to your survival…..

 

Yours’ Care Taker

A River…….

 

By, 

Ar. Aditi V. Sontakke

Associate Professor, TSAP, Mumbai




 

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Terrariums : Your Personalised Naturescapes.

Biomimicry: Applications in Architecture

Empathy in Educational setting